According to MasterCard’s latest survey on consumer dining habits, Singaporeans are the top spenders in the Asia-Pacific region when it comes to dining out – with spending of nearly S$250 a month at hawker centers, food courts and restaurants.
Then again, who can blame you for wanting to spend that much every month? After all, Singapore has some of the best tasting food in the world.
But before you pull out your dollar bills or worn out debit or credit card to pay for your next night out, you might want to check out some of the “dining” credit cards available that can make your next meal cheaper through discounts, rewards and rebates.
Here are several credit cards that’ll help you maximise your dining dollars:
American Express Platinum Credit Card
The American Express Platinum Credit Card is considered to be the top dining and lifestyle card available. If you have fine dining tastes, you’ll definitely enjoy the (up to) 50% discount you can receive at Singapore’s top restaurants with complimentary Far Card (worth S$425) and Palate (worth S$457.96) memberships.
You can also earn up to a 50% discount at restaurants all over the world for being an AMEX cardholder through the American Express Selects and Global Dining Program.
Aside from dining benefits, the American Express Platinum Credit Card offers the following:
- Wellness: Receive vouchers and discounts of up to 50% at spa centers such as Adeva Spa and Willow Stream Spa at Fairmont Singapore.
- Nightlife: Enjoy complimentary drinks at some of Singapore’s trendiest bars such as Maison Ikkoku, the Mad Med Attic Bar and the Secret Mermaid.
- Entertainment: Earn discounts on standard movie tickets at Cathay Cineplex and complimentary medium popcorn for every 2 tickets purchased.
- Generous rewards programme: The AMEX membership rewards programme offers fast points accumulation (10X points with select partners like Harvey Norman) and a generous catalogue of gifts ranging from airline tickets to vouchers.
To qualify for the American Express Credit Card, you’ll need to earn a minimum monthly income of S$4,200.
You can apply for the American Express Platinum Credit Card here.
CIMB Visa Signature Card
The Visa Signature Card is a great dining credit card to have if cash rebates are what you’re after. This card features a respectable 3.8% cash rebate on all dining expenditures you make in Singapore – whether you’re eating at a cozy café in Tiong Bahru or a fancy restaurant in Sentosa.
Aside from dining benefits, the CIMB Visa Signature Card offers the following:
- Online shopping rebates: Receive rebates of up to 3.8% on all purchases made online in foreign currencies.
- Unlimited cash rebates: Accumulate cash rebates without limits as there is no spending cap or minimum spend required (rebates automatically applied to your bill monthly).
- VISA Signature exclusive benefits: Cardholders can expect a variety of perks including airport lounge access, discounts on duty free shopping, hotel discounts and 50% discounted greens fees at over 2,000 golf courses around the world.
To qualify for the CIMB Visa Signature Card, you’ll need to earn a minimum monthly income of S$2,500.
You can apply for the CIMB Visa Signature Card here.
HSBC Advanced Visa Platinum Card
The HSBC Advanced Visa Platinum Card takes a different approach to dining than the other cards listed above. Instead of focusing on direct discounts or rebates, this card features 10X reward points accumulation for dining purchases made in any Singapore restaurant or café.
The 10X reward points accumulation also extends to all online transactions and local nightlife establishments like bars and pubs, with points being used to redeem vouchers for travel, retail and hotel dining.
Aside from dining benefits, the HSBC Advanced Visa Platinum Card offers the following:
- Rebates: Earn rebates of up to 5% quarterly (min. S$800 spend) on all grocery and petrol purchases.
- Petrol discounts: Earn petrol discounts of up to 14% at any Shell or Caltex station.
- Home & Away Privilege Programme: Take advantage of more than 27,000 retail, dining, travel and lifestyle discounts in more 160 nations across the globe.
- Entertainment: Receive savings of up to S$30 on the purchase of an HSBC Golden Village movie card and receive S$1 off the “combo of the week” by presenting your movie card.
To qualify for the HSBC Advanced Visa Platinum Card, you’ll need to earn a minimum monthly income of S$2,500.
You can apply for the HSBC Advanced Visa Platinum Card here.
Citibank Citi Paragon WORLD MasterCard
The Citibank Citi Paragon WORLD MasterCard is as the name suggests, a credit card suited for those who love shopping at Paragon. But it also offers some pretty good dining rebates of up to 10% at F&B establishments such as Starbucks, Cedele, Marble Slab Creamery and PrimaDeli.
Not only that, you’ll also get benefit from Citibank exclusive dining discounts of up to 25% at establishments such as Raffles Hotel Singapore, Paulaner Brauhaus, The St. Regis Singapore and Outback Steakhouse among others.
Aside from the dining benefits, the Citibank Citi Paragon WORLD MasterCard offers the following:
- Style$ rebates: Earn up to 10% rebates on over 120 participating retail outlets in Paragon.
- Complimentary parking: Receive free 2-hour parking at Paragon with a minimum spend of S$100 on a single receipt.
- TANGS rebates: Earn a 6% year-round rebate (12% on “special” days) on purchases made at TANGS.
To qualify for the Citibank Citi Paragon WORLD MasterCard, you’ll need to earn a minimum monthly income of S$3,300.
You can apply for the Citibank Citi Paragon WORLD MasterCard here.
The credit cards listed above offer some great dining rewards, but if none of the cards above are right for your spending lifestyle, check out our Credit Card Comparison Page to find just the card you’re looking for.
Want the best financial deals in town delivered to your inbox once a month? Sign up for iMoney’s Monthly Round-Up today!