Malaysia May Cease Or Limit Export Of Eggs

Malaysia May Cease Or Limit Export Of Eggs

Malaysia may stop of limit the export of eggs to ensure sufficient supply for its domestic market, Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said on Monday (December 10).

Mr Saifuddin said that consumers Penang, Sarawak and Putrajaya had complained about alleged cartel activity among egg suppliers, which had caused prices to increase in mid-November.

He added that checks have been conducted at the production, distribution and wholesaler stages throughout the nation to determine the cause of the price hike.

The ministry will also hold talks with the Malaysian Competition Commission and the Veterinary Services Department to identify measures to tackle the price increases.

“We will study if stopping the export is reasonable or not, even if it is for a short term. If it helps to reduce the price of eggs and benefit the people, we will definitely look into it,” said Mr Saifuddin.

Malaysian farms remain a key importer of eggs to Singapore. Only 26% of eggs consumed in Singapore are supplied by local farms, while the rest (74%) are imported.

[Sources: 1, 2]

(Visited 31 times, 1 visits today)

Leave your comment

Comments