Singapore Employers Prefer Overseas Returnees
According to a survey by recruitment firm Hays, 8 in 10 employers are looking to hire overseas returnees to enhance cross-cultural awareness in the organisation.
It was also reported that across Asia, Singapore hired the least percentage of overseas returnees in the past 12 months (39%) while the Asian average is 54%.
Benefits of hiring overseas returnees
- Cross-cultural awareness
- Language and communication skills
- Commercial experience
Issues with overseas returnee work pool
- A mismatch in expectations of offer packages
- Lack of local work experience
However, the employers were willing to pay returnees with suitable experience a premium salary. 54% of employers were ready with a salary package higher than that of their local peers and 28% were willing to increase the pay 10% more.
Why do the returnees return?
- Being closer to their families
- Opportunity to develop their careers
- Culture or lifestyle in Singapore
Challenges faced by the returnees
- Unsuitable job opportunities (53%)
- Unsuitable remuneration (45%)
- Unfamiliarity with local job market conditions (39%)
How are the overseas returnees faring in Singapore?
With regards to their satisfaction rates of overseas returnee staff, 39% of employers in Singapore were “satisfied” and 9% were “very satisfied”, while only 2% were “unsatisfied” or “very unsatisfied”. Further, 9 in 10 employers are willing to recommend employing an overseas returnee to their peers.
How the returnees apply for jobs in Singapore?
Majority applications occur via:
- Recruitment agencies (62 %)
- Search engines such as Google or Yahoo (32%)